Scrambled eggs with black truffles is a classic combination and for good reason! The earthy aroma and taste of the black truffle marries well with the rich consistency of scrambled eggs. And they can be served at any meal: breakfast, brunch or dinner!
There are two things to know about this recipe for Scrambled Eggs with Black Truffles. The first is if you use fresh truffles, available from December – March, store them with the eggs for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. This will infuse the eggs with the black truffle aroma through their porous shell. You can substitute preserved truffles in a can or jar but the taste will not be as intense. The second thing is that you can serve the eggs on toast or on fried bread as suggested below. I think the taste and texture of the fried bread adds an appealing dimension to the dish.
The videos of preparing, cooking and serving the eggs are very useful to watch.
Scrambled Eggs with Black Truffles
A fabulous brunch dish which will wow your guests!
- 12 eggs, as fresh as possible
- 6 ounces of fresh black truffles
- 6 ounces butter
- 1 ounce parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices good sourdough or white bread (optional)
- Step 1 Note: At least eight hours, preferably 24 hours, before preparing the dish place the truffles and the whole eggs in an airtight container and refrigerate. This allows the truffles to infuse the eggs with their aroma.
- Step 2 Approximately one hour before cooking the eggs, slice the truffles about 1/8” thick and then chop into pieces about ¼”. Break the eggs into a large bowl and add the chopped truffles and a little salt
- Step 3 then using a fork beat until well mixed and leave to infuse for up to an hour.
- Step 4 Fried Bread:
- Step 5 In a large sauté pan melt 2 ounces of the butter over medium heat until foaming. Add the bread slices and cook until browned. Turn and brown on the opposite side, add additional 1 ounce of butter if necessary. Place on plates in a warm oven until the eggs are cooked.
- Step 6 Eggs:
- Step 7 You will need a wooden spatula and a large non-stick saucepan. Place the remaining 3 ounces of butter in the pan over low heat until melted. Turn the heat to very low. Add the egg/truffle mixture and then the parmesan cheese to the pan. With the wooden spatula stir the mixture together. Then increase the heat very slightly and as the mixture begins to cook scrape the bottom and sides of the pan to release the cooked egg as it solidifies against the hot surface (see video) adjust the heat to increase the speed of cooking or to slow it down until the eggs begin to coalesce. Remember that it is better to cook the eggs slowly as it is easier to control the consistency and make sure you do not overcook them. If you find the eggs are cooking too quickly remove the pan from the heat and continue stirring. The eggs are done when they begin to clump together. Remove from heat when they still look undercooked because they will continue to cook while in the pan
- Step 8 it is very important not to let them get dry.
- Step 9 When the consistency is still very moist divide the egg in equal portions on the fried bread and serve immediately.
What People Are Saying…