If you’ve never pickled anything before you are in for a treat with these quick and easy Lime Pickled Red Onions. It takes no time to prep and they are ready to serve in 30 minutes. In addition to spicing up salads you will find these Lime Pickled Red Onions have all sorts of uses in sandwiches, served with roast beef or chicken, or as a garnish for soup. They will keep in your fridge for several weeks so make up a batch and you will be surprised at how quickly they disappear!
Lime Pickled Red Onions
If you don't have limes on hand you can use lemons, or dilute 4 tablespoons flavored vinegar (raspberry, etc.) with 3 tablespoons water.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 100ml/7 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few cracked peppercorns
- To serve: freshly chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Step 1 Put the sliced onions i a bowl and pour over freshly boiled water to cover. Leave to stand for 20 seconds, drain and refresh under cold running water, drain and set aside in the bowl.
- Step 2 In a small bowl mix the lime juice and the salt. Pour over the onions, add the peppercorns and stir to combine. If serving straight away let stand for 30 minutes. Otherwise transfer to a sterilized jar and store in the fridge until needed.
- Step 3 Optional: To serve, add the fresh herbs and sprinkle with sumac.
Share this with your friends