Amaze your friends with this easy and delish recipe for homemade hummus. I never knew how easy it was to make homemade hummus but if I had known how much better it tastes than any store bought version I would have been making it years ago. The trick to smooth creamy hummus is removing the skins of the chick peas. It’s not difficult and makes all the difference. Place them in a saucepan with 1 teaspoon baking soda and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let them sit for a few minutes then drain them and rinse with cold water. Rub them together with your hands and you will see a transparent outer layer slide off. Remove the chickpeas from the cold water leaving the skins behind. You may need to rinse them again to make sure no skins are attached. Removing the skins is critical to having a smooth creamy hummus.
Make sure to remove the skins of the chickpeas before using.
- 3/8 cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves peeled garlic sliced, or to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin and/or paprika, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, reserve liquid
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Step 1 Put the tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and/or paprika in a food processor, sprinkle with salt and pepper and begin to process. When it is completely smooth add the chickpeas and some of the cooking liquid as needed to produce a smooth puree. You may need to process for 2-5 minutes to get it perfectly creamy. You can add oil and lemon juice as well as salt and pepper as needed for taste and texture.
- Step 2 Serve, drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of paprika and parsley.