This take on guacamole with summer veggies is a wonderful way to serve fresh summer vegetables with very little effort. It comes by way of Le Bistrot des Halles in Paris, a traditional restaurant located near the old food market in ‘the belly of Paris’. You won’t find it if you’re not looking for it but once you have you will make it home. Good traditional bistro food served up with an occasional twist. Pair it with a Pissaladière Niçoise for a very French bistro meal!
Guacamole with Summer Veggies
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 hot green chili or 1 mild red chili (seeded and roughly chopped)
- Juice from 1 to 2 limes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion (minced)
- 2 small courgettes
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves (coriander)
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- In a food processor whiz the garlic, chili and juice from one lime. Add the avocado and salt. Whiz until smooth or to suit your taste. Taste; add pepper and more salt and/or lime juice as necessary. You want a spicy, slightly zingy taste.
- Cut 10 of the cherry tomatoes in quarters and then in small chunks. Cut the courgettes lengthwise into quarters. Slice crosswise as thinly as possible.
- Combine tomatoes, courgettes and onion with the puree. Taste again for seasoning. Serve on top of lettuce or alone as a timbale. Garnish with the remaining cherry tomatoes sliced, sprinkled with the cilantro and grated lime zest.