Based on a Nigella Lawson recipe this easy to make delicious Blueberry Polenta Upside-Down cake can be made with other berries or fruit, but I think the blueberries are just so gorgeous! And because it uses polenta it is gluten free!
I often make this for dessert and serve the leftovers for breakfast or brunch. A truly versatile cake.
Blueberry Polenta Upside-Down Cake
Easy Blueberry Polenta Cake is a lovely alternative to the traditional dessert. The polenta gives it a nutty taste and is lighter than you would expect.
- Vegetable oil for greasing pan
- 1/4 + 3/4 cup sugar (divided)
- 3 cups blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup olive oil or sunflower oil (not extra virgin)
- 1/2 cup regular or instant polenta
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Grease and line base and sides of a 9-inch square or round cake pan with baking parchment and then grease the parchment. Sprinkle the ¼ cup of sugar over the base of the pan and cover evenly with blueberries.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, ¾ cup of sugar and orange zest. Whisk until pale and thick. Add orange juice and oil. Whisk until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together polenta, flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes until golden brown and springy to touch. A toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 5 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto a serving plate, and slowly peel off parchment paper. Serve warm or at room temperature.